Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 Network cards on Asterisk setup (Trixbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyb2008

Programmer
Apr 16, 2009
GB
Hello

Im looking at options to instal a trixbox opensource ippbx. Im thinking of having 2 network cards in it, one that connected to the internal network, one that connects onto a firewall/to the internet. Will having 2 network cards require extra setup or should trixbox (asterisk + centOS) automatically configure routing of network traffic.

Regards

Gary

Trixbox will handle without a problem, but if both network cards are going to be behind a firewall, not really necessary.
Just use port forwarding to forward VoIP traffic to network card. Remember to look at your sip_nat.conf file in Trixbox.

Would definately not assign public IP to one card and let it open unless you are ready to work with iptables.

A friend built a box with it open for one night, next morning it had been hacked by an IP in Romania. They are amazingly quick.

If this is going to be a working system, I would use the 2.6 version of Trixbox as they are still working out some issues on 2.8.

Hi

Im still finding out if port forwarding SIP traffic is a simple thing to do on ISA Server. I think the issues might arise if i want to have entensions login to asterisk from the internet. Thinking of a simple cheap firewall between the external NIC on asterisk and the internet.

Port forwarding works well for connecting external stations to the internal Asterisk based system

Have you done that with ISA busster? I read on the internet that the issue is ISA doesnt allow true forwarding based on ports but it adds an extra layer to the routing that trips up some apps.

Have not. But have seen posts where the configuration is complicated but possible.

My understanding is it involves setting up an account for unauthenticated users or an AllUser account.

I setup trixbox 2.6 and works a treat, installed 2nd ipcop firewall and all works a treat thanks busster.

FYI, you might look at Untangle as an alternative to IPcop.

It takes at least 1gig of memory where IPCop requires less, but have found QOS is better handled with Untangle for VoIP calls.

This might just be a personal preference too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back