Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 logical disks impossible ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddeg

Technical User
Aug 30, 2004
FR
Hello
I'm trying to configure an x345 (bios 1.17) server with a LSI 1030 and 4 SCSI disks :
2x34 Go that I configured in a RAID 1 logical disk and used perfectly under Linux
2x146 Go disks that I cant configure in a second mirror with ServerRaid (creation button not allowed)
I can use them as hotspare, can see them in redhat fdisk to create a software mirror but cant create a hardware raid.
Is it possible to have 2 logical drives ? is it a problem with the 146 Go drives ? any idea ?
thanks
David

Not with the onboard LSI RAID, you can only have one array with it.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

If you install a ServeRAID 5i/6i/6i+ you can use it like a "real" RAID controller.

But that's not what he asked.

Actually, it is what he asked :eek:) "Is is possible to have 2 logical drives" The textbook answer is in shipped configuration, no; but if you add a 5i/6i/6i+ RAID Controller (which works in conjuction with the onboard LSI chipset, rather than in lieu of it like the ServeRAID 3x/4x), the answer is definitely yes.

No, he's trying to configure the onboard LSI 1030 for multiple arrays, which can't be done.

Yes, it can with the addition of the RAID Controllers I referenced. The ServeRAID 5i/6i/6i+ add the necessary instrumentation to support multiple Arrays/Logical Drives. These RAID Controllers do not have an onboard SCSI controller as the 3x/4x RAID Controllers do. It's designed to work with the onboard LSI Logic 53C1030 SCSI Controller to provide a complete RAID solution. The server, with the RAID controller, provide the equivalent functionality of a ServeRAID 3x/4x by itself.

Yes, and he could also buy a completely new server, with all new drives and all new RAID controllers and achieve the same thing.

He's trying to use what he has, and with what he has he can't do what he wants.

Now, you may have skipped ahead to his next logical question, congratulations for that, but the answer to his question is he can't do it with what he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back