Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 Internet connections for one network

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKovacic

IS-IT--Management
Nov 5, 2002
US
Hello all,

I have Comcast High speed internet and Verizon FIOS. I would like to set up my home network with both connections for extra broadband. I will be working on a radio station from my home, and at times streaming audio out. I also want one to serve as a failsafe connection, where the only way I would have trouble is if both went out. Is there a simple way to do this? BTW, I am running about 7 computers on the network, and eventually will have print servers.

Is it as easy as sending both internet connections into a switch, and sending the switch into the wan port of my main router?

Thanks in advance!!

Thank you!!!

Mike Kovacic

""" """
(o) (O)
\____/

Dual Wan routers are common these days
here are some well known ones

what a dual WAN router can do for you:
Double overall throughput incoming
Offer redundancy if the WANs are truely seperate

what a Dual WAN router did not do last I knew
increase any single download's speed
allow hosting a site via multiple WANs

It works best to offer multiple sessions redundadant access to the internet, It does not speed up single downloads or offer the internet redundant or faster access to you.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

SUPURB!! YOU RULE! I don’t see how it would give more speed anyways, no biggie. I do like the redundancy though! I will look into the router. As demands increase, so do my gray hairs, and I’m only 28. :)

Thanks!!!

Thank you!!!

Mike Kovacic

""" """
(o) (O)
\____/

I have had good results with the Linksys RV042 and RV082 to provide a redundant connections. It costs more that the ones listed above but provided a better result than the Xincom for me.

Wires, you've tried both the Xincom and the RV082 ? The only problem I see with these products is that you cannot have the public IPs on the private lan side. I think the proper term is bridging. I have many customers that have 2 WAN connections at their office but haven't found a product that allows you to pass through the public IPs other than something like a Cisco router.

Wires, you've tried both the Xincom and the RV082 ?"

Yes. The RV0x2 series is a superior product.

"The only problem I see with these products is that you cannot have the public IPs on the private lan side."

Never had a need to do that and I am not so sure it would work or is a good idea. The RV0x2 routers can forward a public IP to a private IP. Here is a description:

One-to-One NAT

One-to-One NAT creates a relationship which maps valid external addresses to internal addresses hidden by NAT. Machines with an internal address may be accessed at the corresponding external valid IP address.

Creating this relationship between internal and external addresses is done by defining internal and external address ranges of equal length. Once that relationship is defined, the machine with the first internal address is accessible at the first IP address in the external address range, the second machine at the second external IP address, and so on.

Consider a LAN for which the ISP has assigned the IP addresses range from 209.19.28.16 to 209.19.28.31, with 209.19.28.16 used as the RV042 WAN IP (NAT Public) Address. The address range of 192.168.168.1 to 192.168.168.255 is used for the machines on the LAN. Typically, only machines that have been designated as Public LAN Servers will be accessible from the Internet. However, with One-to-One NAT the machines with the internal IP addresses of 192.168.168.2 to 192.168.168.15 may be accessed at the corresponding external IP address.

Note: The RV042 WAN IP (NAT Public) Address may not be included in a range.

1. Enable One-to-One NAT: If you check the box, One-to-One NAT will be enabled.
2. Private Range Begin: Enter the beginning IP address of the private address range being mapped in the Private Range Begin field. This will be the IP address of the first machine being made accessible from the Internet.
3. Public Range Begin: Enter the beginning IP address of the public address range being mapped in the Public Range Begin field. This address will be assigned by the ISP. The RV042 WAN IP (NAT Public) Address may not be included in the range.
4. Range Length: Enter the number of IP addresses for the range. The range length may not exceed the number of valid IP address. Up to 64 ranges may be added. To map a single address, use a Range Length of 1.

Note: One-to-One NAT does change the way the firewall functions work. Access to machines on the LAN from the Internet will be allowed unless Network Access Rules are set.

Actually, All I am looking for is the connection redundancy. An increase in the bandwidth is nice too! :)

I dont plan on running any webservers.

Will I get better bandwidth?

Thank you!!!

Mike Kovacic

""" """
(o) (O)
\____/

Will I get better bandwidth?"

Yes. You will get more total bandwidth. However for your application "streaming audio out" it is unlikley that the extra bandwidth will help. This is because any one connection will only use one path at a time unless it has been engineered to take advantage of multiple paths.

Redundancy is good...

engineered to take advantage of multiple paths."

how can i do that? Sounds interesting..

Thank you!!!

Mike Kovacic

""" """
(o) (O)
\____/

I use a Cisco 1811 for my corp. network. Works wonders. expensive, though.

I have my DNS records to point my MX and CNAME records to both my IPs. so when one link is down, emails and web requests automatically hop over to the other link.

I suspect both comcast and verizon will frown on this I would imagine it violates the TOS

They can frown all they want. It is none of their business!!

TOS or not! They get their money! How the customer routes the traffic is the customers' business...

I guess so long as it doesnt bridge the 2 networks, letting traffic pass from one ISP to the other, there should be no issue.

Thank you!!!

Mike Kovacic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back