Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 Internet connection through PIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

luciusism

MIS
Mar 15, 2002
US
I have 2 internet connections (2 different ISPs), and I have a PIX 520 with 3 NICs.

Our toplogy so far is a dmz on one nic, our private network on another, and the final NIC is connected to our main ISP.

What I'd like to do is hook our secondary ISP to our PIX, thus creating redundant internet access. The question I have is if anyone has ever had to deal w/ a siialr situation? Do I need another NIC for the second ISP? What about DNS, seeing as our domain name points to 1 ISP's DNS, does that mean I have to host my own DNS?

Thanks all!

P.P.S. I'm assuming that the PIX doesn't use regular PCI NICs?

I guess that you could put two routers in, one for each ISP and then load balance those links (like Yizhar suggested), using HSRP. The inside interfaces of the routers would then connect to a switch and the outside of the PIX would patch into that switch! With HSRP the two routers running in a failover configuration would appear to the PIX as a single "virtual" router, which you would then point the default route on the PIX to!

Sounds easy .... but can be a problem getting it to work right!!

Good luck.

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

The PIX uses ordinary PCI cards. My PIX has ordinary Intel NIC's 10/100 Mbits...

Hi,
If you wanted to load balance you got to be real careful. For hosts that must have the same address, eg mail servers, you will have to run BGP to both ISP's and advertise your network to the Internet so it is known both ways. There are so many ways to do it though. If you don't care about IP what your source IP's appear as you can do as chrisac says and go 2 routers/HSRP, or if you can only afford 1 router run NAT 2 both interfaces, in this case your source addresses will be different depending on what ISP you use.
I would consider BGP the *correct* way, but everyone has their own preference, and there is no single correct answer.

-Stephen

HSRP doesn't load balance, it's used for failover. You CAN setup two internet connections on the PIX, but you'll have to manually switch the default route if your primary goes down, this would be the cheapist solution.

If you want to automate this, use HSRP as described above. It's not difficult to get working.

If you host public services on your network that need to be accessible through your second internet connection (via the same IP address) if the primary goes down, then you'll have to use BGP. This is an extremely expensive solution.

sh0x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back