Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 Instances of MSSQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrdPrefct

Technical User
Oct 18, 2001
US
We installed MSSQL2000 on a machine that already had MSSQL7. We plan on using both db's until we migrate everything to MSSQL2000. In the meantime, we need the backups. We keep getting failure notices, and I believe, it's because Networker is confused as to which server it should be connecting to and backing up. Is there a way to specify which MSSQL instance to use in the backup? Please keep in mind, both versions are on the same machine. In my saveset I list out the db's to backup using the following scheme: "MSSQL:master". I list out all the db's I need backed up there.

Shutting down the 2nd instance (MSSQL2000) didn't even allow me to get a backup until the problem is resolved.

Thanks.

You can backup different instances of SQL by using the following syntax for the saveset:
MSSQL$xxxx:database

for example:
MSSQL$INS1:MASTER

You need Networker Module for SQL version 3 to do it.
I use it on SQL2000 and it works fine.

Hmmmmmmmm.
Thanks for the tip. I've been trying that, but it doesn't appear to be working. In Enterprise Manager, I see 2 servers. One is labeled "NAMEOFMACHINE" and the other is "NAMEOFMACHINE\2000".

How do I find out the proper instance name to use?

Thanks.

I still havn't been able to solve this problem. Does anyone else have any input or anything for me to try?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back