Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 Hard drives = 1 Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charliesz

Technical User
Jul 24, 2003
CA
Good day.

Does Windows XP offer any built-in software RAID functionality?

I have 2 Hard drives. I need to "make" them into 1 large hard drive. I know it is possible with the use of RAID cards. Is there a way to do that using 3rd party utilities or perhaps WinXP includes something of its own. If yes, what would you recommend?

Thanks.

not RAID but DFS, look it up!

Jamie Gillespie
Senior IT Technician
South Cheshire College
j-gillespie@s-cheshire.ac.uk

Thanks for the suggestion!

I've just found my solution and it is the use of "Dynamic Disk"s.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

In W2K, you need to make the disks dynamic before you start doing anything with raid settings.

Your wanting to take two drives and use raid 0 to make the large partition over the two drives - there is no fault tolerance using this method. If one drive fails, you loose all the data. That being the case, do you have a method of backup, like tape, that you could use.

Raid 0 does give you an improvement in the drive performance though, but with the relatively low $ per Gb cost, why not just buy a larger disc. You may then be able to use the present discs in a raid 1 with the new large disc.

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back