Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 GB File size limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylewc

Programmer
Oct 25, 2010
CA
Hello, I've been trying to overcome what seems to be a 2 GB file size limit while writing to an output file. I'm very new to cobol so any input would be helpful. I'm using CA-Realia Workbench 3.0 as my compiler on windows XP. It doesn't seem to complain reading a file greater than 2 GB, but while writing it fails with file status 97 when the output file reaches 2 GB.

Thanks

My guess is that there is something in the CA-Realia implementation that is keeping track of file size for the particular kind of file you are accessing (VSAM or like probably) and is causing an overflow of that variable once it hits the maximum size for a DWord value (around 2 GB).

A better venue to pursue this would probably be CA tech support.

It is not possible for anyone to acknowledge truth when their salary depends on them not doing it.

I don't know about CA-Relia, but in Micro Focus COBOL the internal control area has a 4-byte binary field for the file size. This is the source of the 4 GB limit.

At one time, this was much larger than any single storage device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back