Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 Gateways on a single network?!? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

shrigz

IS-IT--Management
Jul 10, 2001
IE
I am installing an ISDN dial-up for mail and internet on an existing network which already has a router connecting to an intranet. The range is 10.203.141.xxx . How do I set up for both gateways to work? As in the PCs to go through the existing router for the intranet and the new Cisco1600 I have set up for the internet?

Use policy routing to take IP packets coming into the Cisco router and decide if they go through OR they get re-routed over to the new router through the ethernet port.

THis is one suggestion.. like anything else, there are many ways to do the same thing. Perhaps someone else has a more elegant solutions.

MikeS
Find me at
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

I would set the gateway on the PCs to be the intranet router and the gateway on the intranet router to be the internet router. The reason being that the intranet router knows all the routes to get to all the segments on your network. If a packet comes into the intranet router with a destination that it is not aware of, there is a good chance that the packet needs to be routed out to the internet. As the default gateway of the intranet router is set to the internet router, the packet will be sent along the correct path. I assume you are going to use NAT (network address translation) on your 1600.

I agree with ronr101. I use the same kind of thing here. The only thing I would say is that if you have a firewall running then I would personally set the clients default gateways to point to the proxy server. I would then configure route tables on the proxy server to pass through to your intranet router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back