Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 G4's sharing printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

kentucky

Technical User
Nov 5, 2002
US
We have 2 G-4's, 1 b/w LaserJet 8100 & 1 Epson 1270 Color Printer. We tried using usb's & hubs, but we can only print from 1 machine. So now we are trying to use print sharing. We don't have a network. But if sharing is on, on 1 computer the other can print. Is there not an easier way? I know they make USB hubs with switches but they are expensive and the company I work for will not buy one. Can anyone help?

Hi

USB hubs are only to plug any devices on ONE computer, you cannot use them to connect two computers.

To share your printers,
- either you make a network between the two computers and then you share the printers connected to the first computer (which must always be on) with the second computer,
- or you make a network between the two computers and the two printers (with an ethernet hub that connects the 2 computers and an ethernet/parallel hub, hope your printers have parallel port!!!)
- or you manually unplug the USB printer from one computer and plug it to the second computer...

Claude

Thanks for the info. We tried print sharing, but I didn't know that the hubs didn't work with 2 computers. But know we tried your 2nd suggestion, no hubs just ethernet and print sharing and so far it seems to be working.

USB hubs and equipment are NOT for networking. If you want to network you have to use ETHERNET to network computers, printers, switches, AIRPORT, etc.

Hope this helps!

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back