Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 Exchange servers - #1 receives mail and forwards to #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

spooties

MIS
Apr 16, 2002
JP
Hello,

Is it possible to have 2 Exchange servers at two different sites, both using Global IP addresses, and the same domain name - and then when say, Exchange Server #1 receives a message attached to user@domain.com, Exchange Server #1 forwards it over the internet to Exchange Server #2 and he receives it in his mailbox, stored on Exchange Server #2?

What if the two exchange servers are using different domain names? ie, Exchange 1 is domain@.com. Exchange 2 is domain-us.com ?

I hope I have done a half decent job of explaining this.

How would I go about setting this up? Would I need to use site connectors? I would really appreciate any help anyone could offer.

Thank you very much

spooties

The first scenario is just two Exchange servers in the same organization with different sites. Although conecting them over the public internet might not be advisable its no different than if they were in the same room (unless there are firewalls between them but thats still possible).

When you installed the second one you would just join it to an existing organization and tell it where the other one was.

The second scenario is just two seperate exchange servers.
No need for them to even know the other is related.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back