Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 DHCP Server on same physical segment

Status
Not open for further replies.

boycott

Technical User
Aug 10, 2001
CA
Hi,

I have 2 DHCP Servers on the same router (CISCO), each DHCP Server are on different Domain (Domain A and Domain B). And the problem is that a workstation in Domain B will always have an ip adress from the DHCP Server in Domain A but a workstation in Domain A will always have an ip adress from the DHCP Server in Domain A.

What i would like to do is force the workstations in Domain B to have ip adresses from the DHCP Server from the same domain (Domain B).

If anyone can help????

Boycot

DHCP servers don't care at all which domain a client is in. The level of networking at which DHCP functions is below that of network authentication. If you really want to do what you are doing, you will have to create reservations in your scopes so that clients will be getting their addresses from the proper server. Also, your scopes should only be as big as the number of reservations you have, so if you have 14 reservations configured on each server, you should only have 14 addresses in your scope, or perhaps only 14 active addresses. The rest of addresses in the scope can be excluded.

You might want to think about servicing your subnet with a single DHCP server and not worrying about which domain the systems are in. I don't see why you would need to separate your systems out by domain on the IP addressing level. Multiple domains can even share a common WINS server, so that wouldn't be an issue.

Shackdaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back