Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 developers working on same project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birddog

Programmer
May 30, 2001
US
A co-worker and I are working on the same MS Access project.

We are located in different cities. When we get together we spend several hours of our time putting our most current version of our respective objects (forms, reports, queries, etc.) into the same .mdb file.

Is there anyway to speed up this process or to avoid it altogether? It seems as though a Foxpro add-on has or had a library function in which you could just check out a part of a project and then check it back in over a wide area network connection.

We are connected over a WAN but not a LAN.

I also wondering if a person could use something like the description property for each object to put the name of the developer who "owned" the object and then use this info to export the objects to a combined .mdb file but this would take a fair amount of coding and some seriously taxing thought on my feeble mind.

Thanks for any help or thought you might have.

Multi-developer work with Access is something I've started to think about, but haven't done yet.

The developer edition of MS Office includes the Visual SourceSafe tool that you can use to check objects into and out of Access databases. It's probably the same tool as is used with Visual Foxpro.

I think things are a little trickier with Access, since you're dealing with objects inside the .mdb rather than with filesystem objects like Foxpro scripts. But basically I think it works much the same.

As long as you have access to the main .mdb as a network drive, I think it should work fine. I'm trying to figure out how to use VSS with workers not connected by a LAN or a WAN.

If you don't have access to VSS, you could still operate more efficiently if you set up a replicated database. That way, if you coordinate who's working on what, when you synchronize it would automatically upload the new objects from your database to a "design master", and would download objects completed by the other person to your database. You wouldn't get the benefit of "checking out" objects that you get with VSS, so you'd have to manage that yourself. -- Herb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back