Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 cpu's registering in device manger

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakone

Technical User
Feb 26, 2003
US
I'm not sure if this is a problem, but I am very curious of this. In win xp pro when I go to device manager & look at the cpu's installed it shows 2 of them (i only have one installed) and when i go to systems properties on the general tab under computer it say's
Pentinum 4 CPU 2.40

It say's it twice there too any reason for this.

Thanks for any info.

Is the processor a P4 HT? If so it is treated by XP as two processors.

Thank you bcastner
Yes it is a p4 HT do you know why it does that i was just curious.

Thanks

Your BIOS will create an APCI table that shows two processors. During installation XP will depend on the APCI information from the BIOS to determine whether it should place in the HAL the power profile for a single APCI or multi-processor APCI computer.

That is the why it shows two installed processors; with the appropriate software the HT can act like two processors. cf.
This is one of the few instances in which changing the Hardware Abstraction Layer can reliably be done through Device Manager. But I would not touch it if it was my machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back