Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 copies of windows XP installed on my system

Status
Not open for further replies.

priyankaj

IS-IT--Management
Jun 29, 2003
IN
hello,
i have mistaken installed two copies of Windows XP on my P4 PC.one win xP has all softwares installed and the second one just has Win xP . When i boot my computer i get an option to choose which of the Windows XP OS i want to start.How can i remove this seconf winxp from my PC?
~Priyanka

hi, this could be done by reformating your harddrive and installing a fresh copy of xp pro onto your system,
the otherway would be to edit boot.ini so that you delete the option that you dont want on there, the easyest way you can do this is to right click on my computer->properpties->advanced->startup and recovery/ edit-> edit on the poped up window-> then delete the entry which you dont want to be displayed

I.E
[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

so i would delete the one which you dont want to be displayed and that will skip that screen which can be a real pain.

The way web design should be

From your good Windows installation just Delete the second windows folder, Documents and Settings and Program Files folders applicable to the second installation, (don't delete anything that may be part of your main installation).

Follow what "noellees1" says about the Boot.ini entry.

Sometimes it is handy (if you have room) to retain a second installation just for testing purposes and repair of your main Windows whenever necessary.

thanx..i dedleted the windows, documents and settings folder of the second operating system plus edited the entry in boot.ini.
My PC is fine now:)
thanx a lot
:)
Priyanka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back