Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2+ computers using W2K Professional w/out W2K Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

NazzcaPro

Technical User
Aug 11, 2001
AU
I currently have a home LAN with Windows 98 on two computers. There is cable internet joined to the HUB and both computers are connected (Star Topology).

I was thinking about possibly getting Windows 2000 Professional Upgrade edition. I don't want to get a server; I just would like to see my existing computers have W2K Professional on them. If I were to do this (since it's a small home network) would there be problems if I didn't have the Server (a server with W2K Server)? Would there be administrator issues due to a lack of a server? Do I really need a Server on a LAN for Windows 2000?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you.

For this size of network you won't have any issues since you will already have shares and accounts set up on both machines. W2K Wkstn Pro will support up to 10 concurrent connections, so for your purposes that's plenty, yes ? Ian

"IF" is not a word it's a way of life

Thanks ianf. Since the only administrators there would be the two computers, how would I set up both W2K Professional computers to be both administrators (since there isn't a W2K Server anywhere)? Realistically, any computer that joins the network would be an administrator without a real Server. What do you think?

You would choose administrator as the local user. Since they would be a "workgroup" of only 2 pc's..Workgroups should contain administrators since every user is responsible for his/her own configuration.

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful. Thanks!

Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back