Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 color separation issue in Q6.5 when going to PDF.X

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmoore007

Technical User
Mar 15, 2007
US
Having a problem with adding black to a PMS color to create a different tint of that color. Client uses light green as corp color. adding black makes new color that is readable as text.

in the edit color palette, you can select multiple inks and ad a % of black to a selected PMS to make a new color.

Upon export to press-ready pdf, everything separates out just fine (duotones, layered illustrator files, etc.) except for the colors that where set up as multi ink colors in Quark. these separate out as cmyk and you can turn their previews on and off in the output preview in Acrobat Pro.

it has been suggested that i upgrade to 7.0 but with all that i'm hearing about its problems, i'm not sure that is a solution or just another set of problems.

job is supposed to go to press today.....any thoughts out there?

You could just do your type in black (whatever tint of black you need) then in Trap Info palette, set it to overprint
Mark

...are you exporting with 'device n' and not cmyk?

...export to 'device n' pdf or print to 'device n' postscript and distill if you are trying it in cmyk...

Andrew

Tried device N on another's suggestion to no avail. ended up having to RIP pdf's as separations (2 separate plates). Ran them on the B/W printer to test, that worked ok but still not totally comfortable with what i'm looking at.

thanks

Quark 6.5 specifies using " CMYK or Hexachrome process inks" to create a Multi-ink.
The colors palette does offer "PANTONE in solid Hexichrome coated" as a pull-down model.
Perhaps changing your client's PMS to use this Hexichrome model will be the remedy.
Secondly, Are you using Quark's Export>Layout as PDF? Or, do you generate a PDF via the print window using the Adobe PDF 7.0 profile? (Quark is not known for great PDF technology.)

L Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back