Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 Adapers / Good /Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

werre

Technical User
Jul 24, 2003
US
Would two adapters in one server connected to the same network be a traffic burden or would it be recommended?

it can be a good thing if you need fault tolerence or load balancing. It can be trouble if set up wrong. I like the intel pro cards they work great they come with there own software for setting up Load Balancing or Fault tolerance. Would recommend them to anyone. They are a little more expensive though.

Thanks
Erik Butler
2000 MCSE
erikbutler@centurytel.net

Have two cards on my W2K server that are teamed. It's something I think Compaq came up with. (I didn't configure them, we had outsiders come in, so it must be a bit tricky.) Basically, the two cards team and create a single virtual ip. If one card fails, the virtual ip drops and the good nic takes over. Do a search on google for network teaming and you may find something there. If not, get ahold of me and I'll see if I can find more info for you. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"Don't take a fence down until you know why it was put up".
Robert Frost (1874 - 1963); U.S. poet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back