Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

(2) 3300XM / Matrix. 1 keeps failing

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgv

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2002
US
Hi. I'll try to be brief... any comments whatsoever appreciated.

I have 2 3300XMs. Connected with a matrix cable. Periodically (once a week?) all PC's connected to the 2nd unit suddenly loose connectivity. Equipment connected to the 1st unit seem fine.

Web software begins to reports error I think.. and then becomes non responsive for the failing unit. All LEDs flash amber in synch... at a rate of about once per second. This seems to occur all the time, but not so rapidly.

A manual power cycle corrects it.. and PCs can begin immediately communicating with the network again. Broadcast storm enabled.

I have moved nearly All devices to the 'working' unit... there are perhaps 4 or 5 devices on the 'bad' unit. No effect.

I flashed up to 2.69, and the problem appears to be getting worse. These units were replaced about 8 months ago for fear of being defective. It just seems that traffic stopps being passed through the matrix cable for no reason. The matrix cable is a 1Meter cable.. I have seen references that a short cable can cause problems.

Most settings are system defaults, no v-lans. I do see that forwarding is set to 'Intelligent' rather than store-and-forward, but I dont feel thats the issue.

Perhaps worth noting that majority of PC's connecter to it are OLD deskpro ENs with questionable NICs. However, moving devices between switches doesnt seem to alter the pattern of the 2nd unit failing.

Any takers?

Thank you!

*Update*

I found that the problem has almost dissappeared after moving a couple of machines that had Blackberries running on them.

Shrug.

I seem to be suffering the same problem - please explain what you mean by 'Blackberries'?

I seem to be suffering the same problem - please explain what you mean by 'Blackberries'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back