Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2.0 Cleaning database

Status
Not open for further replies.

jathomas

MIS
Jul 12, 2001
US
My company has just swept the building, and renamed almost all of the clients. Currently, we have 200 Windows 2000 clients in this site. When we open Collections, SMS now reflects 400 computers, all 200 of the old computer names, and now the new ones. I need to clean up the database to only reflect the current computers in the company, and do away with all the duplicate information. My question is, what is the best way to do this?

I have found three different settings.
Delete Aged collected Files (90 days default)
Delete Aged Discovery Data (30 days default)
Delete Aged Inventory History (30 days default)

Would temporarily changing these settings correct my issue, or what should I do. Your assistance is very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Jason Thomas

I'm not sure that is what I am looking to do; maybe I was unclear in my first post. Each computer name is only listed once in the SMS Administrator's console under collections. However, along with the new correct computer name, it is still showing the old computer name, which doesn't really exist anymore. I want to remove all of the old computer names, along with any information tied to them.

well then delete the collection and re-create it. that should take care of it I believe

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately it did not work. The old computers are still in there. I'm pretty sure changing one of the following settings temporarily will correct it, but I want to be sure before I hose anything up...

Delete Aged collected Files (90 days default)
Delete Aged Discovery Data (30 days default)
Delete Aged Inventory History (30 days default)

When you look under the Collections node, then I am assuming you are viewing the All Client Systems collection, right? And from your description, it sounds like under the Name column of this collection, each entry has two separate Machine Names with a comma separating the two, right?

If this is so, then the Name is an array value, and setting the Delete Aged Discovery and Inventory (both of 'em) to run tonight is your best bet.

Yes, I am looking under All Client Systems in the collections node. However, each entry only has one name, and there is no comma. Example.
Entry 1.
Name:SCRCOOK Resource Type:System Domain:Synavant Site Code:ATL Client:Yes Assigned:Yes
Entry 2.
Name:RCOOK Resource Type:System Domain:Synavant Site Code:ATL Client:Yes Assigned:Yes

The thing is, Computer name RCOOK does not exist anymore. RCOOK was the original computer name. We renamed it to SCRCOOK. Now in SMS the old computer name is still there, which doesn't exist on the network, along with the new computer name SCRCOOK. This is the case for the 200 computers we renamed.
Thanks,
Jason

Oh, that's all? Just extra records in the database? No big deal at all. Just make sure your heartbeat settings are set pretty low (1 day is fine), and run the Delete Aged stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back