Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1st DNS server fails when its DNS forwarder fails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnknownEntity

Technical User
Jun 15, 2006
GB
Hi everyone, I have setup 2 DNS servers one as an AD integrated AD dns server and a second as its forwarder. I am using windows 2003. When I stop DNS service on DNS forwarder server, and try nslookup on the AD integrated DNS server, name resolution fails. Should not the DNS server understand that the forwarder is not functioning and try to resolve web requests on its own?

Any help is greatly apprectiated. Thanks.

Drakul.

As long as Root Hints (check the tab on the DNS Server properties) are configured and the firewall allows the request to go out, then yes DNS1 should send requests to the DNS servers on the Internet.

As a suggestion to your set up. If you only have two DNS servers in your organization, I would set both up as AD integrated for your domain and just use Root Hints(on both) to resolve names on the Internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back