Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1S3520

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigreguy

Technical User
Feb 1, 2003
Hello,

I am about to install a Compaq server DL360. I currently own a 1S3520 IBM Media device which holds 10 hard drives. My question is: What software do I have to use to be able to make sure these devices can talk to each other. When I was using an IBM Netfinity 7000 I used ServeRAID to configure the device. I am not sure now if I can even get the devices to talk to each other. I will be using SBS 2003 OS on the server. I have not installed the server yet nor have I installed the OS yet. This DL360 will be a new install for me.

Can someone please assist me with this?

Thanks,

Tony I

hi,
if I have understood, you would attach a SCSI expansion
IBM with 10 disks (14 slots) whithout RAID devices
(in the ServeRaid architecture, the raid is done by a card inside the server) to another server and hope to access the files. I think there is no way.

1) if you have HW possibility to link (right cable) the 3520 to the DL360, I don't know if there is a RAID5 card in this server. If there is, you cannot read data formatted by another card. You have to save files in a 3rd storage and then create volumes RAID5 in DL360 and copy via lan them.

2) a strange possibility is coming in my mind while writing (probably is what you were thinking): dismount the ServeRAId card (if it is not integrated in the server) and see if it can go in the DL360. After you have saved your data, mount the ServeRAID card in DL360 (I am not sure it goes, I think no) and boot from CD Support ServeRAID
(the oldest you find): do this with the EXP cable attached and disks on: if it goes, you avoid that the card says:
"I have lost the disks"; using this CD, without windows, it uses a Linux OS and you could see volumes.

From this site, I see (in the link v3.50C, above WARNING: )
that there are not CD, but floppy!).

If you see volumes, shutdown all, dismount ServeRAId card, from DL360, and install it booting from Windows CD and then from internal HD. shutdown and insert card, always with disks on. try to find device driver (if there are not in the Win CD, try in IBM support sites)

If you want do these "archaeological" operations,
you have just this Halloween night to perform them !

bye
victorv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back