Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1997 Octane System. Missing CD Rom Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

djsmoisin

IS-IT--Management
Mar 16, 2005
CA
how do I get this rthing up and running.
i have purchased this for $50 by an old man at a yard sale that knew nothing whatsoever about a computer.

I see no harddrive and now i have to purchase a monitor adapter for my VGA monitor to convert to the Workstation "13w3" Monitor Female.

Where can i purchase hard Drives like this AND a CD ROM Drive?

Please someone help me out

thanks,
Jordon

I was in a similar situation and found what I needed on eBay for very little money. It took a little research to figure out what I needed, but I eventually got it.

Hope this helps.

Hello djsmoisin I'm in a simular boat except I know a couple of things about the systems but not much really. there is a 13W3 to VGA adaptor available off of E-Bay for around $6.00 USD I'm looking for a 13W3 to DVI I know they exist but I'm having a devil of a time finding one. I have a dvi to vga so I may be able to fake it with a gender changer and the 13W3 to VGA any one know other wize? Also as to a hard drive any Ultra Wide SCSI will work pretty well but make sure to get a drive sled for the Octane. as to the OS SGI ask's $900.00 for the full install version of IRIX. also available off E-Bay for anywhere from $55.00 up current release is something like 6.5.27 I think And the CD ROM is an external SCSI I would just grab an external SCSI case and slap a drive in it. Right now I'm looking at putting Linux on it once I get mine, I won the bidding at $53.00 plus shipping I don't think the seller is too pleased but hay I'm looking forward to it. Hope I have been of help.

Beware when connecting a monitor to systems like SGI and Sun, they often require a monitor which supports Sync On Green, which is rare amongst PC monitors. Can I suggest you toake a look around the forums at they're very helpful and sometimes will provide you with the parts you require

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back