Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1706 Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

dblarch

Technical User
Mar 8, 2004
US
When starting Paradox as an end user after admin had installed it I get "1706" error. It appeared to be trying to continue installation. When admin logged on Paradox opened without problem.

When logged on as an end user, I found Pdoxwin32 executable. I could then start Paradox but the alias manager would not allow me to save new aliases. It warned that it could not find Engine Configuration file.

The 'user' doesn't have permission to the BDE directory.

I ran into this just a week ago.

Only 1 machine out of 7 that were supposedly identically configured had this problem.

The only thing I could do was log into the computer as Administrator and give full rights to everyone for the directory with the BDE (idapi[32].cfg]) installed.

If you find another workaround, please let me know. I'd like to reverse that permissions thing I had to do if possible.

Tony McGuire

Thanks for the advice Tony. I will not be given Admin privileges so I'll have to investigate further.

dblarch

Well, set up an idapi[32].cfg in a subdirectory of where your application is installed, then.

And use the -o switch to define that .cfg file as the one to use.

This way you should have rights to modify that .cfg file, without needing administrator privileges.

And you didn't need admin privileges to EVERYTHING. Only full rights to the BDE directory housing the idapi[32].cfg

So, move the cfg file instead. :)

Tony McGuire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back