Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

16GB (4x4) or twice as many 8GB (2x4) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

awhitney77

Programmer
Oct 1, 2001
US
HELP!

I've been tasked to order a couple of HP Proliant DL580 G5 Rack servers. For each one, I ordered 2 processors (Quad-Core Intel Xerox E7440) and for memory is selected two memory boards with 16GB 4x4. The vendor wants to send me eight 8GB (2x4) kits in total.

Well, I did the math and 2-16GB equal the 4-8GB but are these actually the same?

Any and all comments are welcomed.

I can't speak to the hardware performance aspects as far as access rates with larger chips vs multiple smaller chips but you can think of it this way: The more chips the better if a chip dies and you have to take it out, you wont have to loose as much memory while waiting for a replacement. Also the smaller chips can sometimes be cheaper. If you are going to upgrade to a large amount of RAM later then spend the extra money for the larger chips up front.

----------------------------
Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back