Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

160gb hdd inaccessible after switching mobos...

Status
Not open for further replies.

proteusx

Programmer
Mar 21, 2005
US
seems ive been asking for help here a lot lately. :)

anyway, i just switched motherboards (from a SOYO brand), where i was using a 120gb seagate as my primary master (running win2k), and a 160gb seagate as my primary slave.

on the new mobo (an ASUS), i'm using a 70gb ibm as primary master (running new install of win2k), the 120gb seagate as primary slave, and the 160gb seagate as secondary slave (secondary master is a dvd-rw).

now, all drives are jumpered to cable select, and i can use and access all of them perfectly fine...except the 160gb seagate. it appears without any problems in device manager, and even shows up in My Computer, but when i try to open it, it errors with "D:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

now, i was JUST using this hdd on the old mobo, it was formatted into a single ntfs partition i was using to store all my personal data. and in disk management, it shows a 149.5gb partition described as "healthy", but it doesnt seem to recognize it as ntfs...

any help would be IMMENSELY appreciated, i have 100+ gigs of files on that disk, and I can't understand why its inaccessible all of a sudden.

yes, SP4 is installed, along with all relevant security updates.

i also ran seagate's seatools online diagnostic program, and the drive itself tested out perfectly fine, but on a filesystem test, it gave me the error that it couldnt find a filesystem...

i figure if i can just recover the data onto another hdd, then i can reformat it. any recommendations on good data recovery software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back