Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

16-bit SCSI on 8-bit port

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkscript

Programmer
Jun 20, 2002
GB
My computer has an 8-bit SCSI adapter on the motherboard and I have my HDD attached to it.

I have just got a 16-bit SCSI HP tape streamer.

How do I fit the tape streamer into my PC?

If the connector on the tape streamer is the same as the connector for the hard disk, there should be no problems, although you might need a new cable, if the one you have only has one connector.

You'll need to set the SCSI id of the tape streamer so that it's different to that of the hard disk. I'm a bit hazy on this, but I think most people conventionally set tape devices to 5 or 6, and hard disks from 2 to 5. Which ever device is on the end of the SCSI chain, it will need a terminator. Most of this vintage have them on board (unless someone's removed it!). Your Hard disk probably has one, so keep it at the end of the chain.

The Tape Streamer itself should slot into a 5.25" drive bay (although again, depending on its vintage, it might require 2).

Hope this helps CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back