Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

16 bit programs just stoped running

Status
Not open for further replies.

PROFESSORSPARKIE

Instructor
Oct 24, 2002
US
I have several 16 bit Windows programs I still like that were running without problems until I updated to “Service Pack III” and successfully remover a complete “Norton” protection package from my system and installed “AVG” in it’s place.

The error is titled “16 bit Windows Subsystem” and the error goes to say “C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\S32EVNT1.DLL. An installable Virtual Device Driver Failed Dll initialization. Choose ‘Close’ to terminate” I am on XP Home but hope someone can give me some direction. I did not just want to start trying things if someone else has had the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Computer thought: I teach a lot of programming so I can learn. You can never learn it all.

It looks like you've still got remnants of Norton on your machine. Did you use the Norton Removal Tool to completely remove the Norton protection package. Simply uninstalling through add/remove programs leaves remnants on the system.

Cheers.

I was not able to delete every piece of Norton but the 16 bit problem seems to be based on service pack 3 and some change made by Windows.

I use 4 different systems in my home and at work. 2 with SP2 which have the problem and 2 with out and no problem.

Any more thoughts?

Computer thought: I teach a lot of programming so I can learn. You can never learn it all.

Most of the above solutions point to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers

Can you confirm that you have tried that solution and that it does not work.

The other solution of using the Symantec Remover Tool is also worth a try.

Some more here, but I think it is more profitable to look at Symantec first.

16 BIT WINDOWS SUBSYSTEM ERROR
thread779-989151

Thanks everyone, I will try ASAP

One additional thought. My system, in my office at work, stopped running 16 bit programs right after service pack 3 update. I do not use Norton on that system. I will still try the other things and let you know.

Is the office machine still having problems?

Besides the usual Windows programs, what third party programs are running on both your home and work machine?

To: linney,

Yes. But another system at work used for teaching does not have serv-pack-2 and runs 16-bit programs just fine.

All I can say is that from frequenting this Forum and others I have not been made aware of such a problem with SP3. However there is always a first time for everything, maybe your case is such an instance?

You can always see what options, if any, are available to you to remove SP3 and revert back to SP2.

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back