Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

16 bit msdos subsystem error

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghallan

Technical User
Jul 9, 2003
GB
Hi

Since I upgraded to netware 6.5 I have been getting the above error at the command line when I try to run a Netware command line utility eg map cx etc This happens on a variety of workstations both windows 2k and XP

the full text in the error box is:
'C:\winnt\ststem32\autoexec.nt. the system file is not suitable for running msdow and microsoft windows applications Choose "close to terminate the application'

Any help appreciated

thanks

Allan

Are you going into DOS using COMMAND or CMD?

CMD is usually the preferred method.

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Hi
thanks for the prompt reply

I am using cmd

This problem does not affect any other command line commands - dos windows AD commands all behave normally Only Netware commands are affected

Regards

Allan

What version of the netware client are you using? Are you getting mapped to z:\sys\public?

Those commands should work fine. I would recommend going to a command prompt, CD'ing to the SYS:pUBLIC directory, and running the command there. Do a DIR to make sure the files are there. Also check the file dates. The point being, I wanna make sure you are running the file from where you think you are (instead of a path or another search drive).

Another thing I would do is run them from another workstation just to make sure it's not a workstation problem.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Hi

I have upgraded the client to 4.91 on this workstation and on an xp workstation and tried again

The problem has changed slightly!

Now the message I get is in the dos box (cmd) "program too big to fit in memory"

If I map a drive to sys:public on a server which has not been upgraded the commands work fine!!

Regards

Allan
"I told you I was ill!" :Spike Milligan(obituary)

Out of curiosity, when you have your 'dos box' open, what is in the blue bar as the title of the window?

Hi

thanks for responding

'Command Prompt'

Regards

Allan

'Nothing spoils lunch any quicker than a rogue meatball rampaging through your spaghetti.' Garfield

IIRC, that shortcut uses the autoexec.nt file for environmental config. Try opening a prompt from RUN (start->run->cmd) and see if that environment acts differently.

Sorry!

It just behaves the same.
The title in the box is "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe"

Allan
"Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back