Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

15 inch LCD monitor too much for 12 volt AC adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

vacunita

Programmer
Aug 2, 2001
MX
I have a 15inch LCD monitor, that states it requires a 12V DC 30W, power source (says so on the lable on the back). So i plugged in a 12V DC 850mA AC adapater to it. The monitor tunred on and all was fine, that is until a couple of minutes later when the monitor turned off. (Some power safe feature that prevents overloads i guess)

so i check all connections and all where fine, to make a long story short i go check the AC adapter only to find it piping hot to the touch, with a slight burnt smell, very light. SO I unplug everything, and now I have a potentially dead AC adpater, and an LCD without a power source.

I haven't tried the AC adapter as i'm still waiting for it to cool down.

My question is if a 12V DC 850mA adpater is not enough for the Monitor what should I buy To accomodate it.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

You do understand the difference between DC and AC don't you? Oh well, programmers probably don't.

You may be lucky. Most of the time you would have fried the monitor.

When you get a replacement power supply make sure it is correctly polarized or you will have another disaster.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I know the difference between AC and DC, the AC adapter is supposed to take 110volts of AC and transform it into 12volts of DC, hence the name Adpater. The question here is why was 12V DC from the adapter not enough for the monitor when it states it needs 12V DC.

Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Sorry, I misread the adapter specs. It did say DC didn't it.

but at 12v you'll need 2500 ma to drive it. You are at about 1/3 power.

Ed Fair

Ohhh, So the voltage was o.k but the current was too low for the monitor, and so it strained the adapter.

How does one know what current the monitor needs, it doesn't say on the label.

W=EI i=w/e = 30/12.5 =2.5. This is what they call for.

Ed Fair

ohh o.k, i knew that electronics class would come in handy some day. Now off to find an adapter of those characteristics.

12V 2.5A or 2500mA 30W.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back