Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1416 with button module 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnestel

Programmer
May 10, 2012
US
All users on an IPO R10 have 1416 phones with a button module attached. One user's module stopped working. It seems to not be getting power - doesn't light up. We replaced the side car and power supply. Replaced the phone. Moved the extension to another port. Moved a working phone/side car to this location. In all cases, the side car is dead. Customer says they have checked power. Is there a way to disable a side car on a phone? Not that I see, but what else? Any suggestions?

It looks like you've got everything covered. One last thing would be to remove a working side car and replace it with this questionable one. I think that will confirem once and for all that the side car in question is DEAD.

Rebuild the user. That is about the only thing left.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

We're still stuck here. We have replaced every part, including patch cords. We have taken working units and moved and swapped. We have plugged directly into multiple ports on the IPO. We have removed inactive user accounts, because they are nearing the max for button modules on a system.

Power supply shows a light for power. The sidecar does not power up. We must be missing something and I'm hoping a fresh pair of eyes onsite can find it.

so let me get this right, you have moved the dead sidecar to a working location and it is still dead? Did the working unit from another location work in the dead location? Have you moved the power supply as well? What about the cable from the phone to the sidecar did that get replaced with a known good working cable? Did you move the dead sidecar to another phone that had a working sidecar? I know this is a lot of questions but if taken in steps the problem should become clear.
Also how many button modules do you have at this location?
Mike

The tech has moved and replaced everything so often his head hurts. We can take the dead side car and move it somewhere else, and it works. We can take a working side car and move it to the dead location, and it's dead. We took a complete set - phone, sidecar, cables - from a working location to this one, and the side car is dead. We took the whole thing back to the control unit, and the side car is dead.

Shouldn't the sidecar at least power up if it's getting power? Even if it's not connected to a phone??

We had around 30 programmed button modules and the max is 32. I think we're down now to 21 users with sidecars in use and/or programmed.

It makes no sense and when we finally figure it out, it will be something stupid...ugh...

Reboot the system..strange things happen..
Replace the card..could be a faulty port..especially as nothing works at the port.

'We can take the dead side car and move it somewhere else, and it works.' You don't have a hardware issue.

'We can take a working side car and move it to the dead location, and it's dead.' Did you change ports??? Move both the phone and the port to the dead location. If it still dead could be cabling. If the phone works then most likely not a wiring issue, but I would test the cable as a short in the cable may be shorting out the power supply. If it works then you know you have a port issue or bad user/port programming.

If you can take it to the control unit and it doesn't work... If it is a base card and you have two of the same swap them. Other wise program the extension to a different port and be done with it.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

Like I said, it was something stupid. The site was using a flat satin cord on the power supply. Replaced it with a cat6 patch cord and the side car is working. First tech onsite missed it, second tech fixed it in 5 minutes. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back