Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1394A External Hard Drive Not Working in Windows 7 Ultimate 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordgalla

Technical User
Apr 1, 2005
US
Hi all,I'm having a hard time with the 1394A working in windows 7 Ultimate.I have a Fantom External Hard Drive 1394A Connection and a MSI 890FXA-GD70 Motherboard.I have tried the legacy drivers and everything,
I checked the wiring to the front panel and all seem to be ok.The drivers are in the device manager and all is well.I plug in the hard drive and nothing is detected at all.
Is the 1394A compatible with Windows 7 Ultimate? How can I get this hard drive to work? Is it possible somehow? It did work on windows Xp Sp3.

hi there,thanks for replying.The drive last worked on windows Xp SP3,and all was ok,Now I have Windows 7 Ultimate and nothing.The drive spins up ok,and no audible noises.
I have all the latest drivers installed for this board,and the 1394 driver is enabled in bios and in the device manager.I even tried the legacy driver in the device manager
and still nothing.I'm wondering if it's compatible with Windows 7 Ultimate? Don't know what else to try.

Hi there,removed the hard drive from the enclosure,and tested on a xp computer,hard drive is ok,must be that 1394 circuit board inside the Fantom Enclosure.
contacted them to see about a control board,and they said they have no parts at all.It would be $45 to check it out,+ repairs + shipping both ways.
Don't buy a Fantom External Hard Drive,What a waste.Was a nice aluminum enclosure,lot of good it is now.
Thankyou for all your help.

Well... everything dies, but yeah, guess I wouldn't think that Fantom is one of the top tier brands - not to hoot on your brand choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back