Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

128GB exFAT card not being seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

FI0L

Programmer
Mar 3, 2009
GB
I have a new good quality carcam which accepts SDXC cards up to 128GB but when it comes to reading or transferring to my computer the card via my Multi Card Reader in USB2 or USB3 ports, I see the multiple ports of the reader in "My Computer" but no card and a "You need to format the disk in Drive K: before you can use it" message.
The camera instructions advise to format the card in the camera (which it has as exFAT), as opposed to the computer, which is why I don't want to format as per message.

If I put the same card into my scanner/printer which is connected via USB, the scanner/printer reads the files perfectly in "My Computer"

I can read a 64GB exFat USB stick in the USB ports & FAT32 cards without any problems so that suggests there is nothing wrong with my USB's.

System details:
Memory Card: Transcend 128GB SDXC Class 10 (Recommended by the users forum)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77 WS
CPU: i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz
OS Windows 7 Ultimate Version 6.1.7601 - Service Pack 1 - Build 7601
RAM: 32.0 GB
BIOS and all drivers are up-to-date

So from the above it can be seen the SDXC card is legitimate as it can be seen when I insert it into the scanner/printer, nothing's wrong with my USB ports as they read sticks and other cards (via my card reader), so any suggestions as what the problem is, or could be, please?

I decided to ask here before asking the camera user's forum as I initially thought it might be a peculiarity with the OS.

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

What is the make and model of the card reader? Sounds like the issue may be there, unless you can read other 128GB cards formatted as exFAT.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Hi Phil, it's a Bytestor multi card reader, but since posting I've put the card directly into the reader of a Samsung NC10 netbook with XP Home Edition on it, and I get the same message asking me to format the card.

However, and this is driving me crazy, I've put the card directly into the reader of a Dell E6410 which has Windows 7 Ultimate on it and it reads perfectly......

What is it that the Dell E6410 and my Epsom Stylus Photo RX685 has that allows it to read my card, that my desktop Asus PC and the Samsung NC10 hasn't?

If I thought that by buying a modern internal card reader would guarantee it being read, I'd do that, but I'm not going to know until I've bought it....

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

Problem solved by buying a new Transcend USB 3.0 card reader.

Yes, older readers won't support SDXC which is why they can't handle that card. SDXC probably wasn't invented when your old reader and the NC10 came out.

Nelviticus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back