Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1230 set will not dial out ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdom

MIS
Oct 5, 2005
US
Hi everyone: I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem with our system, and I'm trying to figure out if it's the system or the phone. We have a user who periodically cannot dial out on their phone. Using a Nortel 1230 set. When they dial, the blinking cursor just sits at the end of the dialed number and nothing happens. After a reboot of the phone set, it works normally. Thinking it's the set, but thought I'd see if anybody else had experienced this problem.

Thanks for the help!

Most likely, the UCx system is not configured to recognize the dialed number as a complete number that is to be dialed automatically and the dial out timeout is not enabled. If that's the case, the user would have to press # to initiate the dialing.

Go to PBX Configuration - Nortel Settings and review Dialplan Patterns in the section Dialing Options.

To enable the dial out timeout, add the pattern .T (that means any digit followed by the timeout period - the duration is configured above that section in the field Auto Dial Timer).

To configure automatic dialing of the phone number dialed by the user, add a corresponding pattern. For example, if the user dialed a seven digit local number 7771234, you could add the pattern 7xxxxxx to have the number automatically dialed after the 7th digit is pressed.

If you're in North America, you can add common NA patterns using the Dialplan Patters Wizards control below Dialplan Patterns.

A word of caution - do not use patters that are too generic. For example, a pattern such as [2-9]xx would make the system automatically dial any number that starts with 2 to 9 and has three digits - the pattern would therefore disallow dialing of longer numbers (such as the example 7771234).

hi ucxguy - thanks for the post. i'm thinking our dialing is ok ... everyone else on the system is dialing out just fine - it's just this one user. it happened again today. i tried to dial out on the user's phone, and the cursor just sat there after the number was dialed. nothing happened. the user is also reporting that when this happens, they are also unable to transfer calls ... the button does absolutely nothing. after unplugging the phone and re-plugging it back in, it works normally again.

another user reported today that their voice mail light indicator was not functioning. we have both a button and the red light for voice mail, and neither one was working. i did the same thing - unplugged the set, plugged it back in, and both lights came on again after the reboot.

i'm trying to figure out if this is something with the individual sets or something in the UCx. i haven't rebooted the UCx in quite some time. might that do the trick? we're going to be upgrading to release 4, so if it is the UCx, perhaps the upgrade will help the situation.

thanks again!

What happens if the user presses # after dialing the digits?

the set has been behaving for the last few days, but should it freeze up again, i'll give that a try and post back with the results. thanks ucxguy!

I have a couple of suggestions-
1. Set the MAC Address to "0" and de-register the physical phone set. Then put a DIFFERENT UNREGISTERED set, whether it is a new one or one that IS working and you do the set MAC Address to "0" thing to that set,then register the sets with the different corresponding extension numbers and see if the issue follows the set or stays with the extension number. Example- The original Set A becomes Set B and the original Set B becomes Set A simply by de-registering\registering with the process I outlined. Will take less than five minutes and may provide the answer. You can do it with a "copy & paste" for the MAC Addresses to simplify things if you wish.

2. Check the Firmware version of the suspected set and see if it matches one of the working sets. This sounds crazy, but I had a 1220 set that I had to register to a BCM and THEN register to the UCx to get the proper firmware version. That is MUCH easier than using TFTP to flash new firmware, but that only applies if you have a BCM you can use.

My initial "gut feeling" is the issue is with the set and not the UCx and the De-register\Register method with the MAC Addresses can help prove or disprove.

Good luck with it, let us know how it goes, and have a blessed day!

Stocking Distributor for E-Metrotel

It's been about a week now, and so far, no issues. We updated to Release 4 over the weekend, so we'll see if the good look continues. Will try your suggestions if we run into a problem again ... thanks UCXNortel! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back