Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

123-reg blacklisted - what can we do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Hi,

We have many domains registered with 123-reg.co.uk, we don't use any of their services, already learnt the hard way on that one.

However, we now seem to have a major issue where their IP address keeps being put on a spam block list (spamcop)

123-reg_spam.GIF

It is stopping many domains from receiving email to then forward to the pop box provided else where!

I have contacted support to find out why this is happening, but got the usual fob off email, burying their head in the sand, claiming to be working on the issue (though spam cop clearly show it won't remove the block for 5 days!), and refusing to provide any real support or resolution (yeah I know, it's 123-reg, so what's new!)

So is there anything I can do about this? Obviously we cannot afford to have Financial Services companies unable to receive emails for a week, that's ridiculous and unacceptable under regulations, but what can I do?

I used to use a service called 'DNS Made Easy', but they changed their service /' pricing and now they want stupid money (over £1,000 and that's only for up to 50 domains!)

Any other suggestions on how I can remove 123-reg from the DNS equation is appreciated.

Regards,
1DMF

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

What are you using 123reg for exactly, if it just for registration, point your name servers somewhere else, if they are .uk domains you will have a direct login to Nominet and change the nameservers there. I'm sure we could price you a DNS only cPanel account :D

Or you could lease a cheap VPS at Host1Plus.com and load BIND with WebMin for a control panel for the name servers.

BTW, We have finally moved all our domains from Heart as a registrar :) and it was just as painful to move as it it manage them using their horrible management panel.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

We use 123-reg only for registration of domains and their default nameservers for DNS.

We use their mail forwarding feature to pass on emails to various POP3 mailboxes so the DNS would also need to manage email forwarding.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

We use their mail forwarding feature to pass on emails to various POP3 mailboxes so the DNS would also need to manage email forwarding.

Not really anything complicated then, I've just set one up this afternoon, we manage the name servers the client just logs in and points the IPs to where ever they want to host mail and web.

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

No, that's not the same as mail forwarding is it?

Pointing MX records to a pop box doesn't work the same as forwarding email from one domain to another IIRC.

We use one pop3 service (domain) to smoke and mirrors all our members emails / domains.

ie..

I have a member who has... theirdomain.com

I buy the domain for them and set up email forwarding to our 'ourpop3.com' domain for an email address I generate : myuser@ourpop3.com.

They collect their email from that pop box and send via that account, but they 'appear' to send and receive email as whatever@theirdomain.com

So I have 5 different companies, 5 different domains and email addresses... they forward to

user@domain1 -> member1@ourpop3.com
user@domain2 -> member2@ourpop3.com

etc..

they send and receive email as *@theirdomain.com , but it is sent via SMTP and received via POP3/IMAP using *@ourpop3.com

Does that make things clearer? Or perhaps I am missing something on how MX records work, but I thought the end point mail server needs to recognise the domain of the recipient, but using mail forwarding it doesn't?

email forwarding (aliases) is in the control panel as well, it's basically a full cPanel with hosting and mailboxes disabled.

user: panedemo
pass: panel.demo

There's no live domain name on that so it can't be used for anything dubious and the password gets changed a few days after anyone has used it.

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

I did a test, creating an alias and sending an email to it, I got an NDR
The recipient e-mail system is currently busy and can't accept any messages. Please try resending the message later.

Can you email me, so we can discuss your offering in more detail.

You would, because there is no live (real and registered in global DNS) domain name associated with that account the "domain name" is panel.demo, although you could add

92.48.84.154 *.panel.demo

to your 'hosts' files to make it work :)

I'll email you with a "real" setup to play with.

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

UPDATE: 123-reg continued to get black listed on nearly a weekly basis, with the usual lack off support or care for the serious problems it was causing our customers, so I trialled a new DNS provider to negate 123-reg from the equation.

Having first ran a trial for a while with their FREE account on a couple of our members domains, I have signed up for a premium account and will be moving all our DNS services to them.

The control panel is easy to use, has everything you need to edit all your DNS records, it includes 9 name servers hosted around the world, full email forwarding, DDOS protection and compared to other providers of similar services such as DNSMadeEasy, it's as cheap as chips.

So if you need a good DNS provider, at an affordable price, I'd certainly check out their offering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back