Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

12 VDC from TigerPro Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

bck

Technical User
Oct 2, 2003
US
I have a TigerPro Model TP-450 power supply. I want to use the 12 VDC output for another project. What do I have to do to get it to work stand alone?
TIA
bck

There were some articles in QST magazine in the past year, about adapting computer-type switching power supplies for use powering things other than computers. The details are too long to post here, but it is doable. I'll try to check my back issues of QST, or an ARRL Handbook for Radio Communications, to find a reference for you.

Fred Wagner
frwagne@longbeach.gov

Thanks for your inputs. I searched for "computer power supply schematic" and found a site that had design info for a similar supply. From this I concluded that connecting the green wire to common (black wire) would turn it on. It worked. I also found a place that says you should put a load on the +5. I haven't tried that yet.

The QST articles talk about the minimum load on the various outputs and such. Good luck!

Fred Wagner
frwagne@longbeach.gov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back