Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

12.0(13) bug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoggit

Technical User
Jun 25, 2001
US
Hi,

I'm receiving an error on a cisco 2514 when trying to upgrade to IOS 12.0(13). As you can see below, I've written to NVRAM from version 12.0(13), yet I'm still warned that "Configurations from version 12.0 may not be correctly under stood" even though I'm booting to IOS 12.0...I've even wiped the config clean and I still get the same message!

This router is to replace one that is to be decommissioned, but I don't feel confident about sending it out with this error.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
yoggit

Here's the editted output from the router after I reload it:-

System Bootstrap, Version 11.0(10c), SOFTWARE
Copyright (c) 1986-1996 by cisco Systems
2500 processor with 14336 Kbytes of main memory

%SYS-4-CONFIG_NEWER: Configurations from version 12.0 may not be correctly under stood.
%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial1.1, changed state to down

...copyright....

IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-IS-L), Version 12.0(13), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

...interfaces come up and go down.....(I've nothing connected - just the console)....

*Mar 1 00:01:01.169 GMT0: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console
*Mar 1 00:01:01.173 GMT0: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --
Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-IS-L), Version 12.0(13), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 1986-2000 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Wed 06-Sep-00 03:51 by linda

...then I can login...

Unless it is not working in some way I would not worry. My guess is the feature set you have loaded has "issues" with the v11 bootstrap software. I believe newer boot roms are available at a price...

Thanks, I've hooked it up to a frame switch and simulated a live environment and all seems fine...

Cheers,
yoggit

The error message you are receiving is actually being generated before the 12.0 code is loaded. Note the first version number it is giving out when you reload your router - (System Bootstrap, Version 11.0(10c), SOFTWARE), this is loaded, then it reloads the new 12.0 code, but in the mean time it does try and interpret the startup-config.

It is absolutely nothing to be concerned about and is normal operation.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back