Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1140/1120 sets and VGMC Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

rheusdens

Vendor
May 11, 2006
CA
We have a customer on 4.5 with 11XX series sets, but when you look at the VGMC card, the firmware does not appear to be on the card iteself. When you transmitt this information from the SS itself via Maintainance, the firmware does not appear to go on the card. Since the card is only for TPS if the SS fails, does this card necessarily need the firmware for the sets on it?

The VGMC in normal operating mode provides DSP channels for translation from IP to TDM phones. So if the signaling server is up and running all IP sets will register to Signaling server not the VGMC.

Yes, that part I understand. What I am asking is that there is no firmware for the 11XX sets on the VGMC, we try to transmitt this and it does not go in. Is it necessary that it is there in the even the SS fails and the sets register to the VGMC

Transmit to all elements in the NODE, does it say fail?

Check that the ELAN and TLAN connection on the VGMC are pingable, check the MAC address too,enable TPS on the card via EM.

Purely for backup reasons, you would use a VGMC, I think that you can register 120 set per VGMC.

No, everything gets transmitted but when you look at the inventory of the card, the firwmare for the 11XX sets is absent. We have no failures of any kind making this look like design intent.

you should check to make sure the "Enable TPS" box is checked on that VGMC otherwise that card won't register phones when the SS is down. That could be why it doesn't have firmware on the card.

hope this helps
rob

Firmware for the 1100 series phones can't be put on the VGMC. If the sig server fails the phone will re-register to the VGMC and work normally. Ran into the same thing a while back and scratched my head for a while. I'm not sure if it's because the firmware files for the 1100 series phones are larger and it's a storage space issue or what not. Either way what you're seeing is normal.

Thanks for all the responses.. now that normal operation is confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back