Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

10Mbit NIC for ML370G4 (PCIX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kida

Technical User
Mar 14, 2003
CA
I've posted this on the HP forum also..
My client has just purchased a new ML370G4.... they are running at 10Mbit/sec fiber connection....
Does anyone know of a 10 or 10/100 NIC that is PCIX?. the ML370 does not have PCI slots - just PCIX.

Thanks

PCIX is backward compatible with PCI, but it will slow down bus speeds (chances are you won't notice the difference unless it is a server under high load) for all slots on the bus that has the legacy device so if you can, isolate PCI cards away from PCIX Cards.

I thought that too but.. the pcix cards needs a second notch in it. The connection is slightly differenct

Oh..... you have one of those old, old cards that opperate at 5 Volts instead of the now standard 3.3 Volts. I ran into that once with a $10K brooktrout board, that sucked.

Do you mean 10 Gig Fiber?

yes... old old old..... and yes 10 MBit (not Gbit) fiber

do you know if the on-board Broadcom B57 NIC can run at 10Mbit?... I'm checking this out but, I can't find an answer yet.

If that is also the NIC known as the HP NC7782, yes it can. I just checked a DL360G4 that I have in house.

I have never seen a RJ45 Nic that could not back down to 10 Mbit.

Tried it... the system will allow the onboard NIC to be set to 10Mbit... I'm in the process of purchasing a media converter.. I'll let you know.

Thanks very much for your help

Glad I could help. There are lot's of different vendors out there that sell media adapters, that is just one I had at my finger tips to give you an idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back