Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

10Gb over Copper...Should i get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorruptedLogic

IS-IT--Management
Aug 1, 2001
So here's the skinny, next July, we are moving offices. As the network admin, i'm responsible for kitting out the new office technology wise (and have a pretty much blank check to do it with!!). I'm thinking i'll get the structured cabling done in 10Gb as opposed to CAT5e/6. Having never been exposed to 10Gb before, i'm slightly cautious to just go ahead and get it. Does anyone know of any pitfalls or caveats with the new 10Gb standard? I'm assuming that all my existing 100/1Gb nics will work just fine with the 10Gb infrastructure? I guess i'm just after some confirmation that 10Gb is the way to go with a new install these days....

Any info would be appreciated as ever!

TIA

CCNA, CCDP, Net+, A+
Work Smarter, Not Harder....

If it was me, I would wire the new office with Cat6A, and where needed, 50 nm multimode fiber in the core. (9 nm singlemode fiber if there are multiple buildings) I would not get 10GBaseT gear yet, unless you know you are saturating 1000baseT in the core. laying good wiring could mean it outlasts 3 generations of electronics.

Each speed generation comes out first in fiber and then in copper so put the fiber where the congestion is the greatest (and the distances over 100 meters)

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Thanks, it's really a small office of ~50 connections in one building. You pretty much confirmed what my research had me thinking :eek:)

CCNA, CCDP, Net+, A+
Work Smarter, Not Harder....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back