Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

10g and analyze

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookouri

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2000
US
In our old 8i databases we used to analyze the tables fairly regularly. How is it recommended to handle analyze in 10g? I've found a few references but was just wondering how people are actually doing it compared to the references Im finding.

any comments would be appreciated

1) Use dbms_stats package
2) Activate 'monitoring' on all tables/indexes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Do you mean activate addm on all tables/indexes?

NO, do this:

ALTER {TABLE|INDEX} {Table_Name|Index_Name} MONITORING;

-- OR --

DBMS_STATS.ALTER_SCHEMA_TAB_MONITORING (
ownname VARCHAR2 DEFAULT NULL,
monitoring BOOLEAN DEFAULT TRUE);

[noevil]

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Thanks, I've never read anything related to that dbms_stats monitoring option.. Ill have to research that..

thanks again

Am I correct in thinking that you no longer want to use analyze in 10g? Should I only be using the dbms_stats package now?

I have read some articles where both are compared and sometimes one is faster than the other.

The one thing that I know works faster/better is that when you set the MONITORING option, you can use the 'GATHER_AUTO' option of the DBMS_STATS.GATHER_SCHEMA_STATS procedure which gathers all necessary statistics automatically. Oracle implicitly determines which objects need new statistics, and determines how to gather those statistics.
[noevil]

My 2¢

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back