Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

10Base2 vs. 10BaseT

Status
Not open for further replies.

peytbass

Technical User
Aug 22, 2002
US
According to my Net+ instructor, and several books, it is stated that a "Bus" topology is the least expensive to set up. I have seen a "dumps" question asking what the cheapest topology would be to network 4 computers. I have searched the web, and cannot find 4 10Base2 Nic's, cabling, and terminators for less than $300.00. I can find 4 10BaseT Nic's, 4 pairs of UTP, and a Hub for less than $100.00. What gives. Why is the 10BaseT solution the wrong answer? When is Comptia going to recognize that 10Base2 is getting old, and the hardware is getting more expensive vs. UTP? Kinda of a trick question if you ask me. Thank you for your thoughs and input to set me straight!

when I paid $9000 for a 16 port switch, 10base2 was cheaper, now the situation is reversed, not only is 10baseT cheaper than 10base2, but 100baseTX may well be cheaper than 10base2 I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Please stay a ;little twisted it helps with keeping it together. Wisdom is Knowledge
that is Shared

Thanks All Phoneman2

Not to mess up your view point, but Ethernet IS a bus topology. So many times people view it as a star topology, but in actuality it is only the wiring method that is a star topology, the actual connectivity is a bus.

"A network technology's topology describes ways that stations are interconnected. Ethernet uses a bus topology, which is characterized by broadcasting."

- from "Business Data Communications and Networking" by Ray Panko
It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Half duplex 10baseT behaves very much like a bus topology, as you add full duplex, more star features appear I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Well I suppose I could debate it with you, got any reference for your position? Just to help me understand, can you give me an example of a star network topology? (not wiring, the network topology) It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD

The more I search, the wider opinions I find. It sticks in my mind because I missed that question in a networking course, but as I read more ideas about it, I would tend to believe that 10B2 is definately in that category, 10BT and a hub is still in that category I think because it broadcasts with no control.

I'm not sure how full duplex would make any difference, but when you add a switch or any smart type of routing device, you no longer are broadcasting all traffic on the 'bus'.

Anyway, interesting to reflect on, my web searches brought up many different opinions. As with most course work, you must choose the more correct answer according to the text.

Good Luck
It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD

The physical and logical topologies can be different.

10Base2 = physically and logically a bus network.

10BaseT = Physically a star and logically a bus.

Token Ring (IBM's implementation) = Physically a star logically a ring.

Back to the original question. 10Base2 is cheaper because you can find lots of parts in the trash. I agree it is an out of date question that now is really just a history knowledge trick.

The physical and logical topologies can be different.

10Base2 = physically and logically a bus network.

10BaseT = Physically a star and logically a bus.

Token Ring (IBM's implementation) = Physically a star logically a ring.

Back to the original question. 10Base2 is cheaper because you can find lots of parts in the trash. I agree it is an out of date question that now is really just a history knowledge trick.

Sorry for the double post...

Wretched software here that returns an error and still posts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back