Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

100Mbs Network running at 10Mbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

nosremark

Technical User
Jan 29, 2003
US
I have a network with 18 clients and 1 server, recently we've had problems getting some clients to access the server without long delays. I ran the SiSoft Sandra Network bandwidth benchmark yesterday and found that any computer I connect to is providing 10Mbs or less. The lights on my switch are all 100, there are no CAT5 runs longer than 90 ft, and all of the computers are 100 base T compatable. Where should I start?

I ran into this problem once before when using Cisco switches. The problem is that if you configure the switch for 100Full and the desktop is at auto sense the Windows/Linux desktops will only connect at 100half. Basically you have a lot of runts/errors on the switch. Make sure the following is true

1) Windows/Linux desktops/servers are configured at 100Full
2) Make sure that the switches are set for a 100full.

Note that the switch and client must be configured the same otherwise you will see about a 30-45seconds delay when connecting to the network.

Michael

WarpZero Technologies
e-mail: webmaster@warpzero.com

I had a simillar problem. Most switches are factore default to Auto. I have had to manually configure mp HP2524 ad Netgear FSM726's manually to 100Full or half.

Thanks for the help, I will check the switch and all of the clients.

If the delays persist after locking it in at 100M, the next thing to think of is physical changes.

Did new florescent lights go in near the cables? Did someone drop a fridge, microwave or space heater in by the cables?

Did someone drop something *on* the cables that is either scrambling signal or physically damaging them?

Anything that might generate electromagnetic interference (like a fridge motor) been put in the vicinity? New soda machine setting out back of the server rack room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back