Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1000Mbps over Samba - not running at proper rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

alokwww

Technical User
Dec 25, 2002
Hi! I have a 1Ghz PC and a 1Ghz Apple Powerbook G4. I have built in Gigabit ethernet on my PowerBook, and installed a gigabit ethernet card in my pc a while ago.
I use a Cat6 rated ethernet cable between the two computers (my PB makes it a crossover automatically). I have my IP address set to 123.1.1.1 on my PC and 123.1.1.2 on my PowerBook. I use smb://123.1.1.1 from Finder on my PowerBook to connect to my PC.
Everything works fine, however, it does not seem to transfer data at gigabit speeds. At 1000 Mbps I should get 125 MB/sec right? In reality it takes me about 15 minutes to transfer 5 GB of data.
Am I missing something? Any settings to check?

Thanks!
-Alok

Are you using "DEFAULT" settings on the nics ?
What does the ipconfig command return ?
Rember just because you have gig e-net hardware,what about the nic drivers;the internal buss structures;memory;DMA cycle;cpu overhead;etc....ad nauseum.
There is a lot of misinformation out there about gig.

just my $.02

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back