Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1000mb Switch and Load Balancing

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigGuySmall

Technical User
Aug 19, 2002
US
Hello

I've been running NW6.5 with IP utilizing two Intel 100/1000 NICs that top out at 100 full duplex, because I am connecting them to an unmanaged 24-port 10/100 switch (which then links to two other 24-port switches) and I can only use ALB for balancing. I am thinking of replacing at least one switch with a managed 10/100/1000 switch that will do load balancing under 802.3ad and/or FEC and/or GEC. [I've got 55 devices and users connecting, some at 10mb, some at 100mb and a couple capable of 1000mb.]

1) Does anyone have any experience on whether a noticeable performance increase will be gained allowing the server to link both NICS to a switch at 1000mb speed?
2) If I have one managed switch with two 1000T ports, and 24 10/100-ports can I still use my unmanaged 10/100 switches hanging off of the managed switch? Or, do all switches need to be managed?
3) What would be the best load balancing protocal to use? 802.3ad or FEC and GEC? Will each type of balancing function, even if the subordinate switches are not managed switches?

Thanks

Yes... You can still use your un-managed switches connecting to your new managed switch. Just hook them up with a cross-over cable and you'll be good to go.

I would think that a 2gb port channel is a bit overkill for your size environment. A single 1gb connection for your server should be more than adequate.

If you want to make a port channel, GEC is Cisco and 802.3ad is the Industry equivelant. Basically you'll setup your Intel NICs for the 802.3ad team, and configuration your switch with it's appropriate configuration. You can probably get a used Cisco 3548XL and buy two copper 1gb GBICs to do what you want for around $1500.

Thanks. I'll give it a try. We move a lot of large pdf files around and having some more bandwidth should be a great luxury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back