Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1000/Mbps LAN connectivity information

Status
Not open for further replies.

atanoli

Technical User
Oct 28, 1999
PK
Hello everyone:

Can and body tell me any web site from where i can get information about how to install 1000 Mbps Lan connectivity. I need to know that what pin at RJ45 will be connected the pin at other end RJ45 pin?

Thanks in sdvance

or can anybody guide to any network forum where i can get my answer?

or can anybody guide me to any network forum where i can get my answer?

cat 5 comes with 4 twisted pairs. You must wire the pairs to the proper pins for correct operation. the pairs are wired as such: first pair pins 1&2, second pair pins 3&6, third pair pins 4&5, fourth pair pins 7&8.

There are two standards used on cat 5 wiring. If you go to a store that sells the receptacles (commonly used on the wall outlets to terminate the wire) you will see the colors stamped on them for an "A" pattern and a "B" pattern. Which one you decide to use is up to you, but be consistent. Check previous cables to see what pattern has been used already and continue it. Pin 1 on the male end will connect with pin 1 on the receptacle.

When you terminate, the shielding must cover as much as possible. This means stripping off only enough shielding to terminate the pairs. On the male connectors, the shielding is actually clamped by the connector about 1/4 inch before the wires run into the pin crimps. Yes, the leads are really short.

1000 Mbps requires the computer(s) that you'ld like to have operate at this speed, each have a 1000 Mbps Lan adapter, and that each computer plugs into a gigabit port on a hub or switch.

Matt J.

Wiring for 1Gbit Ethernet is the same as 100Mbit. As mentioned above, you need 1Gbit LAN adapters. You also will need a 1Gbit hub or switch or, if only two computers are involved, a crossover cable -- which there are many guides for on the Internet.

I got it. I appriciate your inputs.

Thanks all of you

Have a nice day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back