Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

100 Pair Connection Box Opening Tool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdave1980

Systems Engineer
Dec 18, 2017
GB
Hello,

I had written a whole long paragraph about the different types of lid fasteners I've encountered on 100 pair connection boxes, but rather than post that, I will simplify my question. Can anybody please identify the type of connection box I will picture below, and whether there is a tool available to open them, or some special trick to it? Usually I end up wasting lots of time trying to open/close them using plyers which ultimately damages the plastic, and I'm sure there's a better way of doing it. The first picture shows 2 of the boxes, one with the fasteners closed and the other with the fasteners released. The second picture shows one of the boxes with the lid removed just for reference. Please let me know if you've encountered these and have come up with an easy way of opening them:

20230711_113448_pismba.jpg

20230711_113621_yybvyb.jpg

Thanks!

David

Sorry, just to be clear, the only type of fasteners I've been able to find any reference to online are the slotted type as mentioned above, and pictured below for example:

100_Pair_Junction_Box_rralmo.jpg

Is this in Europe?

It looks a little Kronish.

In Canada we use BIX.
The BIX covers utilizes the Can Wrench which is a two sided wrench (7/16" & 3/8") but the outer wall is thin to fit inside the holes where the bolt is, being the 7/16" end.
The 3/8's end is used for older terminal blocks with the hex nuts (binder post) and also for telecom closet key holders.

So maybe there is a similar tool or that the Can wrench will also work.

It's best to take pictures in a higher resolution, also include focusing in on the problem being the "nut", you cannot see it at all.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Thanks for answering @curlycord.

It is indeed in Europe, in the UK. I think you're probably right about there being some kind of wrench for opening these boxes. I'm at the customer's location again in a couple of days so I might take some hex sockets with me and see if any of them do the job. I'll also try and get some better pictures of the fasteners. The original pictures I took are pretty big but they seem to have shrunk when uploading to the forum.

Thanks,

David

Usually jam my side cutters in and push and turn, never seen or heard of any specific tool for the job

Calum M
ACSS

When I worked for BT, we just jammed a No2 screwdriver in the thing, then pushed and twisted, it needs to be pushed in to allow it to turn :)

“Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH'.
The paint wouldn't even have time to dry.”

Terry Pratchet

@Ekster Thanks for that. Yes, I've been pushing the outer part in with plyers then using them to grab the central "pin", which is hexagonal in shape, and turn it. Sometimes it works easily on the first attempt, but the majority of times it takes ages of fiddling about when I just want to get on with the work and get out of there. Just to clarify though, it's not the slotted type of fastener I'm talking about here so I'm not sure how I would go about turning anything after jamming a screwdriver in there but I will try it next time I see one. I was meant to be there again today but it's been delayed, but whilst I'm next there I'll take some better pictures.

Here's a closeup of one of the fasteners, it's still not great but whilst I'm next there I'll get some better ones. The round outer part of it pushes in, leaving the central pin exposed. The pin is hexagonal in shape, as if a tool should fit over it (like a socket or a screwdriver bit holder) and allow it to be turned.

Fastener_t0lkku.jpg

Once unlocked, the outer part of it as well as the central pin pops out like this:

Fastener_Unlocked_ezqu2n.jpg

More on the Can Wrench which I think is the key (pun intended), also known as the 216C tool.
Amazon UK has one posted but it's out of stock, not officialy listed

I measured one of mine, both ends:

Box Lock end
Inside Hex 11.30mm (US = 7/16)
Outside Round 15.20mm (US = 19/32)

Binder Post end
Outside Round 13.6mm (US = 1/2)
Inside Hex 9.50mm (US = 3/8)

Thin wall thickness 2.10mm (US = 5/64)

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada