Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

100 mbps Half Duplex or 10 mbps Full Duplex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 22, 2005
NL
which is better? 2 way at 10 mb or one way at 100 mb?

I would have thought 100 / half duplex but our printers seem to respond better to 10 /full

any thoughts?

Full duplex will always be better than half duplex, why can't you have 100full??

Will more traffic get down a road where cars can go 100 MPH but only one car can be on the road at once, or where they can go 10 MPH but as many cars as needed can be on the road?

Depends how long the road is, and how many cars use it.

the more packets you have, the better the 10/Full will look, in lighter load the 100/Half may be faster.

in a VoIP scenaario 10/full would be much better than 100/half VOIP has lots of small packets that hate delay

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

thanks for the insight,

we've got a bunch of HP printers that autonegotiate to 10/half.

when one of these printers are installed or moved, I usually manually set the switch port to non-negotiate and the printers accept 10/half, 10/full and 100/half. The connection drops when I try 100/full.

Again, thanks for the insight, i'll be setting the switch ports to 10/full.

If they are monochrome, it is unlikely they can print 10 million dots per second anyway, so it will be as fast set to 10 /Half. Being a printer, traffic will be largely one way.

I used to have a bunch of Lexmark's that thought they could go 100/Full but couldn't. 10 meg was much faster as they could do that without errors.

If the switch is set to auto, you never want to set the device to full, full only works well if both sides can be set to full.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back