Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

100% height problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

lastingforhours

Programmer
Dec 29, 2004
US
i have an all-css, tableless page that, broken down, consists of four rows. what i want to happen (without using a background image) is for my bottom row to automatically extend to the bottom of the browser window regardless of the size.

one thing i've already tried, is making the html and body tags' height 100% and then making this bottom row's height also 100%. all this does is make the bottom row's height the actual height of the screen haha. also, auto height has no effect on it.

so, with that said, does anyone know of any way i can accomplish this without using a background image?

Code:
+---------------+
|               |
+---------------+
|               |
+--+------------|
|  |            |
|  |            |
|  |            |
|  |            |
+--+------------+
|               | <-- I want this to extend downwards forever
+---------------+     without unnecessarily increasing window size

--
Matt Milburn, Wave Motion Studios
matt@wavemotionstudios.com

AFAIK, you'll need to use JavaScript (forum216) to dynamically set the size of your bottom DIV, by determining the size of the client window and adjusting accordingly.

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
[tt]( <P> <B>)[sup]13[/sup] * (<P> <.</B>)[/tt]

[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.coryarthus.com/[/url]

I would still use a background on my body element though. Why is it you can't use backgrounds?

Well, cLFlaVA is correct - if it's not positioned absolutely.

If it's aboslute positioned then you could set the top to where it needs to be and the bottom to 0px to keep it stretched to the bottom.

well, i figured that if it didnt take too much time to have that row extend forever with just css and background colors, then i would prefer to do that over using a background image. but i have a deadline on this project, so i decided to go with using a background image. thanks for the tips guys.

--
Matt Milburn, Wave Motion Studios
matt@wavemotionstudios.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back