Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

100% CUP usage... Could this be why XP slowwww.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky20

Technical User
Jun 1, 2003
CN
Checked CPU usage and it's pegged at 100%... Is this normal? Only 2 apps open, 512mg memory.

I have 768 megs memory. I just checked my CPU usage using ALT/CTRL/DEL and it shows my CPU usage varies between 1% and up to 15% depending on what I am doing. My computer has been running for more than 13 hours and I have run many programs during the day.

Right now the only program running is IE6 on Tek-tips.

I see a note now and then like yours saying their computer usage is 100%. Probably caused by some program running in the background.

Check the MSCONFIG Startup menu and uncheck a startup program you know for certain you do not need. If you uncheck a file XP needs to run it could mess up your system so be careful which files you uncheck so they will not load during boot-up.

If you have the WordPerfect suite 8 or 7 installed they use the hard drive constantly and that would cause 100% CPU usage.

WPW 9 and 10 does not have that problem.

You're problem is more than likely caused by the virtual picture that XP takes of itself. This picture allows you to roll back drivers and "reboot to last know good configuration." This takes up valuable space on your c: drive.

Make sure you can display hidden files/folders.
Head to your desktop, then right click 'my computer', select "system restore", then turn off system restore. This will clean out your restore bin, then turn it back on and you will clean up a lot and reinstate your system restore for possible roll backs.

But just make sure your machine is running fine before you go deleting these files.

Type MSCONFIG in the Run Box to see what is loading at start up.

Try disabling any unrequired services that are running in background.

Computer Speed and Performance May Decrease (Q310419)

HOW TO: Set Performance Options (Q308417)

Spybot

Ad-aware

The last two will check your computer for spyware and adware.

819634 - You May Experience Performance Issues After You Install the 811493 (MS03-013) Package on Your Windows XP SP1-Based Computer

They are supposed to have fixed this bug but I'm not so sure how successful they have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back