Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

100% CPU Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 2, 2002
CA
I have an Exchange 5.0 sp2 server (NT4 SP5)(I couldn't find a 5.0 forum).

There is a process, store.exe, that is using up 99 - 100% cpu usage all of a sudden (a few days now). Seems to be constantly at 100%.

The mail server still seems to function for internal and external mail.

Rebooting the server didn't fix the problem. The server has Exchange on drive C: with 800MB free and the data files on drive E: with 4GB free.

Where do I start looking to see why this is happening?

Thanks,

...Dave

I'm not saying it's definitely the problem, but typically this is due to a minor information store corruption that can be fixed with an ISINTEG -PATCH. But there are several other possibilites as well...

Does Exchange 5.0 have IS Maintenance? I have Exchange 5.5 and store.exe might be Exchange cleaning up the database and checking for errors. IS Maintenance is used to scheduel when this is done and on Exchange 5.5, it defaults to every 15 minutes or something. So you might look there also.

Will running ISINTEG -PATCH cause me any problems if that isn't what is causing the 100% cpu usage?

...Dave

I've never experienced problems after running an ISINTEG. However, that does not preclude me from stating, "always have a good backup".

Exchange is designed to use all the resources that are available. Thus is will fill RAM and CPU time whether its actually using it or not. If working correctly it should release the resources if another process needs them. If it isn’t then the store.exe isn’t working right so I would suggest taking it offline do some consistency checks and re-run the latest service pack.

The server is responding much slower than it has in the past, so it is something that has changed. There is one thread that is using 100% cpu . I found a tech note 183633 that describes a problem with a mail attachment that is missing a closing bracket in the file name. I don't know if there's a way to stop exchange from processing that message without the patch.

In the IMCDATA/In folder there is a message that is many times larger than the others and it appears to have the missing bracket. The tech note is dated 6/21/2002 and says to contact Microsoft support (fees apply).

Tech note 181410 dated 10/11/2002 is for a similar issue, but the information store stops responding. I tried to delete a mailbox yesterday and Exchange went down, so it may also apply. I'm not sure if the two tech notes are describing the same problem. After my full backup on Friday I'll try the fix and see what happens.

Thanks,

...Dave

The only other time I've seen a problem like this is when Exchange was running out of Disk Space. The question is how many users are using exchange. Look at moving the mailboxes using the wizard. I don't remember if it is available in exchange 5.0. I used very succesfully in Exchange 5.5 and it cured that problem for me.

The disk that the infomation store is on has 4G free. The disk that holds the Exchange program has 1G free.

I have the following additional symptoms:

- attempting to delete a mailbox hangs the Exchange Admin program and also stops the mail server responding for users.

- Trying to stop the Information Store process- after 17 minutes, the system couldn't shut it down.

I disabled the process, restatrted and ran ISINTEG - patch. It reported a successful update, but I have the same problem after reboot.

I guess the next step is to apply the hotfix refered to in Knowledge Base article 181410. I've been hesitant to do this as otherwise, the server is sending and receiving mail.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

...Dave

Also try applying this POST-SP2 hotfix unless it's already done:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/exchange/exchange-public/fixes/Eng/Exchg5.0/Post-SP2-STORE/

>>Trying to stop the Information Store process- after 17 minutes, the system couldn't shut it down.

I had a similar problem, but with 5.5, maybe it will help. Turned out the fix was 2 parts: 1) had to pay MS for a hotfix to Ex 5.5 for documented but unavailable patch to store; and 2) a reconfiguration of the AV s/w to not monitor the Exchange processes (we use CA InoculateIT). One more thought, is there a reason you have not gone to SP6a for NT?

Joe

I have the same problem. But its not CPU usage its memory usage by the store.exe Over a period of 5hrs the memory usage grows and I have to reboot the server, because users can't connect. I'm using Exchange5.5 with SP3 and NT SP6a.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can stop this or whats wrong

you can limit the amount of memory exchange will use by re-running the performance optimizer. although i would investigate why you're having that problem to begin with...exchange will use most of your available ram, but it shouldn't be stopping your connections...

I Did run performance optimizer and it didn't suggest any changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back